Thursday, August 2, 2012

Speechopoly!

Pinterest, oh Pinterest, how you make my creative brain explode with ideas! Yesterday, I decided I want to go through my board that holds all the ideas for the therapy room. One of the "pins" that stuck out to me as I began my decent down the page was that of "Homeworkopoly". Have you heard of it?! You can find the original post here


I like sticker charts and will be using them for my precious kiddos in therapy, but I wanted to add a perk of fun. By the way, do you have set expectations for your kiddos when they come in? Do they know what earns them (or doesn't earn them) a sticker? I believe every student should be aware of their behavior and know there are consequences to that behavior. I have a chart, of sorts, that states what expectations are in my room. If a student can say "yes" to all of my expectations, they get a sticker. If they can't, they don't. Is that harsh? My expectations are simple. They are to encourage others, do your best, have fun, etc. 


Anyway, I created this to add that perk of fun!
As you can see, it is no where near completed yet, but it's a start. Here are the pockets that will surround this portion to complete the board...
There are more, but I didn't feel like I needed to take a picture of all of them for you to get the idea. As you can tell, they are not completed because I need to label them with their "avenues" and such. My ideas for the avenues are...
Articulation: syllable avenue, word avenue, phrase avenue
Fluency: bumpy speech avenue, smooth speech avenue, disfluent avenue
Voice: rate avenue, hygeine avenue, volume avenue
Language: receptive avenue, expressive avenue, social avenue


That fulfills all 4 sides of solid colored pockets. For the designed pockets, I am stumped. That's where you come in! I have some ideas, but I have eight pockets to label. I thought about having the pockets on the main board (where Chance/Community Chest would be) labeled as Articulation/Language. In each pocket would be a "challenge" of sorts. For example: "Say a word with your speech sound 5 times with your eyes closed." Thoughts?


On the four corners, I will have the same (kind of) corners used in the original post of Homeworkopoly. Those are "Go" (of course!!), Free Speech, Take a Seat on the Bus, On the Bus (Just Visiting). 


I plan on spray painting craft sticks white and putting my students names on them. They can roll the dice and move their craft stick that number of spaces each time they come to speech. 


I know this is a premature post since it is not a finished product, but in case you were interested in using it in your room, this gives you time to complete it!


Please share your ideas for the designed pockets or options for the community chest/chance area. I have a creative brain, but you might have a special twist that I didn't think about! 


Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment