Monday, July 23, 2012

In exactly one month...

I don't know about you and your thoughts on this summer, but I believe it has FLOWN by! I have spent many days in my "new home" trying to get everything in exactly the right place. I am a "Type A personality" as some of my friends would say, so my need for extreme organization has resulted in multiple hours spent typing labels for file folders, color coding, unwrapping plastic off of board games and then putting the pieces in small bags for safe keeping, and so on. Sometimes I think I am a little over the top, but it is what helps me feel like I am in control and have everything just the way I need it to be to be successful. Okay, I am over the top! 


Trips to see family members, in my mind, is always a blessing. The time spent in the vehicle going from point A to point B to point C, etc., I could do without. Anyway, since I put 1600+ miles on my car in the last 5 days, driving all over Oklahoma and Arkansas, I had a lot of time to think. I immediately became paranoid! Seriously...paranoid! I don't know if it is the shift from middle school to elementary school or the fact that school starts in exactly one month, but I don't feel ready. Not even a little bit! Do you?!


While I was in a different state, I bought multiple things that I found of interest. At the dollar spot in Target, I found personal sized pocket charts (sorting, grammar, anyone?!), lesson plan books for teachers (see...I'm over the top!), grade books for teachers (I plan on using them for attendance...maybe?), and icee cups (similar to the popcorn containers we have seen floating around for activities). At Wal-Mart, which is not my favorite place to go, but I am from "the home of Wal-Mart" area, so I feel obligated sometimes, I found m & m cups (same sort of thing as popcorn/icee) and folders. Lots and lots...of folders! I decided for 15 cents each, I would buy the 10 folders, with brads, in every color available. Needless to say, I bought 60 folders. Again, I confess! I am over the top!


Do you use folders for your students? Do you keep all of their information together in something besides a "working file"? In my middle school days, we did not use folders. I have gathered the importance of them for those in elementary school, but am beginning to panic when it comes to the implementation of all of these things! Is that weird? I suppose it could be. I plan on including a parent contact log, data sheet, etc. in the portion with brads. On the left, the worksheets they complete to show to parents during conferences. On the right, copies of notes or information sent home to parents. 


Maybe you use the "working file" for the parent contact information. If you do, can you tell me what all is included in your "working file"? I have yet to see any details. For the most part, these files contain assessment protocols, IEPs, and progress notes. I feel like that is all that should be included because the rest is just "fluff". Thoughts?!


Anyway, enough rambling expressing my thoughts! I will be spending my day in my room trying to get more accomplished. I hope I can close the door at the end of the day and feel like I have begun the decent downhill. 


Happy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. lol, Courtney...I also bought 60 of those 15 cent folders at Walmart! You aren't over the top at all! I don't do working folders for each of my students in the sense that you are talking about. I have my students files, with a copy of their current IEP, test protocols, medicaid info, etc. I keep all of my data in a binder by grade level ( I have a post on my blog about it). Each of my student has their own folder they bring back and forth to therapy, which has homework, progress charts, parent communication, etc.

    I'm also starting to freak out a little with just 3 weeks left of summer! AGH! Where did the time go?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting blog--it looks like I'm not the only one who buys these folders at summer's end! I give each student their own folder at the beginning of the school year and they keep all of their speech-language work in it...plus their sticker/stamp chart. At the end of the year, it's theirs to take home and "show off" what they did throughout the year. I've done this for a while but I may check out the Target $1 area to see what other "goodies" I can find to amp-up my therapy sessions.

    I have a little over 3 weeks left to go too! I'm never quite ready to walk back into my school building!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kara! Thanks for your comment. I have my student's sticker chart stapled in their folder. I feel it provides some privacy for each student. My school district allows me to purchase incentives from oriental trading and other stores similar, so I took advantage of that this year.

      Enjoy the rest of your summer!

      Delete