Friday, July 13, 2012

That feeling of appreciation!

It has been a busy week for me. I have a friend who gave birth to a baby super prematurely in November. Actually, they emergency c-sectioned her at 26-weeks...on the nose. Her sweet baby is currently staying at our children's hospital getting over some version of the influenza virus. Poor thing! Beyond spending time there keeping sweet baby's parents company, I have been working in my new speech room and finishing up the summer school session in a neighboring town.


Do you ever discover you have a connection with a student, but fail to figure out why? Here is why I ask....I accepted a position in a neighboring town working with children in extended school year (summer school). I am seeing kiddos in the B-3 program as well, but that is definitely not the same time frame as ESY. ESY is a 6-week summer session working with children who have emerging skills or possibilities of regression/recoupment.


The particular student I made a connection with has cerebral palsy. She is verbal, yet struggles with expressive language. She does well with answering questions, participating in jokes/humor, and holding a conversation; however, she struggles with asking questions. She is a student that I can honestly say I didn't figure out in that short time frame. Most of the time, I have at least a little start on the student and their likes/dislikes. This one, I have nothing. 


The last day of summer school was yesterday. She wheeled her way in on her motorized wheelchair with a HUGE smile on her face. She said, "Courtney, we will work, play Price is Right, and then you get to open your present." *Sidenote* This girl LOVES the Price is Right, so I bought the Price is Right app for the iPad. Everyone needs a little motivation, right?! My response was, "Present?! I'm excited to see the present!" After the smile faded a bit and we were done with the middle school girl chatter, we got to work. At the end of the session, this is what I received.


A chocolate bar, a picture she colored for me, and a card. Here is a zoomed in picture of the card:
Now, remember, this student I only provided services to for 6-weeks. This card melted my heart. I suppose that is why I have love for what I do. This teenage girl is able to state more than some of my students, but she was so excited about this present. 


Do you receive gifts from your students? Even a thank you note from time to time? I know we, as school-based SLPs, don't make a lot of money, but I would take thank you notes over money any day. That is why I love what I do. I am making a difference! You are too! 



1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet. I love those cards. I keep a file folder in my cabinet labeled "This is why I do this" and I keep all those cards & notes in there. Whenever I have a bad day, I pull it out. It's amazing what someone's kind words of gratitude can do for you. :)

    ReplyDelete